Friday, September 01, 2006

Well, I’m back in Jordan. Same familiar sites and smells. My plane arrived just at sunset, I love watching sunsets over the desert, so many shades of red sloping across the horizon. I was picked up by a Fulbright Rep, lol, after fighting my way through dozens of luggage couriers who tried taking my bags away to “help” me in hopes for a tip or two. The drive is about 30 km from the airport to the research center I’m parking at for the next 2 weeks as I go through orientation and go apartment hunting. So many old memories ☺ I saw the internet café where I used to go every morning, the Mcdonalds with the belly dancing Birdie character, the shopping district (Sweifieh) where I bought some clothes and shoes during my last trip, and now I’m here at ACOR. I still know my way around the kitchen :P whipped up a quick dinner and chatted with the current residents. There are 2 other fulbrighters already here, a few archaeologists, some near eastern languages/civilization folks, and other random folks. ACOR is always an interesting place to be, everyone is here for different reasons, all from different parts of the world here to dig up the secrets buried in the desert ☺
We’ll see what the morning brings. The wireless signal is pretty bad upstairs in my room, so hopefully I’ll be able to find a stronger signal downstairs in the morning. I’m sure I’ll be up at some odd hour seeing that I’m still jet lagged. 3 countries/cultures that span the globe in 3 weeks :P I’ve gone around the world (sorta). I think I’m still too dizzy to digest it all. Last week I was in Japan sitting on the beach in my old neighborhood, eating onigiri and drinking Georgia Coffee, few days later I was shopping at a good ol’ American mall with my family and eating at a good ol’American steakhouse, and now I’m sitting in the room listening to the evening Call to prayer :P

2 Comments:

Blogger emnebki said...

allaaaaah u akbar... (the only Arabic I know)

2:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed your calls before. I literally had my phone on vibrate and in my other pants. No kidding. I hope your having a good time so far.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home