Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Well, it's been a Crazy Crazy week here. I'm all moved in and after 3 hrs of paper shuffling and multiple multiple customer service reps I will have DSL at my new apartment in "7 to 10 days" so probably 2 weeks from now. So in the meantime I'm using internet cafes and the research center for my internet access.
It's still a bit of adjustment living here, more so than i anticipated. :)
1. Food: Grocery shopping has been fun, but I can't remember the last time I went to a butcher for my meat, I really dont know what part of a cow/lamb I need for what I cook. :D Oh and silly me didn't realize that being in a country whose religion is officially Islam, Ramadan is nationally observed so I guess I'll be fasting from sunrise to sunset for the month of Ramadan. I think however, that I will carry some water in my bag given the temperatures :P THey tell me i'll probably have to sneak my drink of water in the bathroom though. Should be interesting. I wonder what this place will be like with the nation not eating, drinking, or smoking all day. I think hungry and nicotine-deprived folks are a rather cranky bunch.
2. Transportation is currently my biggest obstacle; I'm trying to learn the bus system and it's getting frustrating, I keep getting lost!! On the flipside, my arabic is improving with the constant need to ask "Where am I?" and "how do i get to X"
3. CLothing: been fiddling with my head scarf so that I dont look like a complete fool this sunday. Turns out that our language center requires us to cover our hair since it's in a religious neighborhood and a religious school, I'm not so sure yet about enrolling, but we have an informational meeting on saturday when I'll decide.
4. And last but not least, Language. My Arabic is improving, but I really cannot get past 5 minute conversations, I quickly run out of vocabulary! I'm hoping that between my Qasid classes 4hrs/day, 5 days/week and my conversation lessons at the french cultural center 2 hrs/day, 4 days/week that I'll come out speaking somewhat decently. Right now my Arabic sounds like a slow 4 yr old's. :P
Well, I should get going, I need to run some errands and they take me forever b/c I keep getting lost :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home